Ph.D., 2008, Geophysics, California Institute of Technology (Caltech).
B.S., 2001, Geophysics, University of Science and Technology of China (USTC).
August, 2017–Present, Assistant Professor, Michigan State University.
August, 2014–July, 2017, Research Scientist, Rice University.
September, 2011–July, 2014, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Rice University.
September, 2008–May, 2011, Postdoctoral Associate, MIT.
June, 2008–September, 2008, Research Scientist, Caltech.
July, 2001–June, 2008, Research Assistant, Caltech.
November, 2002, Shipboard Scientist of Pacific Geophysical Exploration Cruise, RVIB N.B. Palmer, NBP0207, from Los Angeles, USA to Lyttleton, N.Z.
Honors and Awards
- 08/01/2014 – 07/31/2017, NSF award #1345096 (Project PI, Min Chen, co-PI, Fenglin Niu), Adjoint tomography of the crustal and upper-mantle seismic structure beneath Continental China, $250,000 awarded.
- 2016, NSF XSEDE Research allocation renewal of TG-EAR140030 (Project PI, Min Chen): Exploring the nature of deep-focus earthquakes through high-resolution full waveform methods, requested duration 10/01/2016 – 09/30/2017, 1,893,664 SUs awarded on Stampede supercomputer and 500 GB on Ranch (data storage). The value of these awarded resources is $65,532.
- 2015, XSEDE Research allocation TG-EAR140030 (Project PI, Min Chen): High-resolution ambient noise adjoint tomography of the crust beneath the eastern margin of the Tibetan plateau, 4,360,643 SUs awarded on Stampede supercomputer and 500 GB on Ranch (data storage), the value of the awarded resources is $150,891, Texas Advanced Computing Center, NSF XSEDE.
- 2015, XSEDE Research allocation renewal of TG-EAR130011 (Project PI, Fenglin Niu, co-PI, Min Chen): Adjoint Tomography of the 3D azimuthal anisotropy and attenuation of the Crust and Mantle beneath East Asia, 1,099,137 SUs awarded on Stampede supercomputer, 4,000 SUs on Maverick (visualization system), and 500 GB on Ranch (data storage), Texas Advanced Computing Center.
- 2014, XSEDE Research allocation advance of TG-EAR140011 (Project PI, Min Chen), High-resolution ambient noise adjoint tomography of the crust beneath the eastern margin of the Tibetan plateau, 100,000 SUs awarded on Stampede supercomputer, Texas Advanced Computing Center.
- 2013 – 2014, XSEDE Startup allocation TG-EAR130022 (Project PI, Min Chen): High-resolution Adjoint tomography beneath the Eastern Venezuela using Empirical Greens Function Data from Ambient Noise, 100,000 SUs awarded on Stampede supercomputer, Texas Advanced Computing Center.
- 2007, Outstanding Student Paper Award at the Fall AGU Meeting.
- 2007, Scholarship of the 4th SPICE Research and Training Workshop in Cargèse, France.
- 2001 – 2002, Beno Gutenberg Fellowship, Caltech.
- 2000 – 2001, the First Place Prize of USTC Outstanding Student Scholarship, China.
- 1999 – 2000, Baosteel Scholarship, Shanghai Baosteel Group Corporation, China.
- 1998 – 1999, Kwang-Hua Scholarship, Kwang-Hua Education Foundation, China.